Saturday, July 14, 2012

Fresh Tomato & Basil Pasta

Oh, how I love the summer harvest!  Going to the Farmer's Market ranks as a favorite Saturday morning activity for me.  I want everything!  We go home with loads of fresh veggies and fruit (way more than two people can eat...that's for sure!).

We went to the Flea Market last Saturday looking for some junk treasure that I could pick up and refinish.  (I am dying to become a successful DIYer.) While we didn't score any fantastic new furniture, we did bring home bags of fresh veggies.  Note to self: the Flea Market isn't the place for used "stuff" anymore...gotta go elsewhere.
Nothing better than a freshly grown tomato!
From the Flea Market no less!
So, armed with fresh beefstake tomatoes and the proliferation of fresh basil growing in my container garden, I really wanted to make a favorite summer dish.  Trouble is...I couldn't find my recipe!
Many years ago, a friend gave me the best recipe for a similar pasta dish.  Guess what?  We both lost the recipe!  In the last two weeks I have been seeing them everywhere...all just a slightly bit different.  I altered the recipe and here's what we enjoyed:


Ingredients:

12 oz linquine
3 large quartered beefstake tomatoes @ room temperature
1/2 C fresh chopped basil
2 T olive oil
2 clove garlic
Salt and Pepper
Feta Cheese

1.  Cook the linquine according to the package directions.  Drain the pasta and return to the pot.
2.  Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree two of the tomatoes, oil, garlic, salt & pepper (to taste).
3.  Finely dice the remaining tomato.
4.  Toss the pasta with the pureed tomatoes, the chopped tomato, and half the basil.
5.  Sprinkle with the feta cheese and the remaining basil just before serving.  

Notes:
The recipe said to puree all three tomatoes, but I wanted some tasty fresh chunks.
The recipe also called for freshly ground parmesean or romano cheeses.  I didn't have any.  Hence, the Feta.

It was absolutely divine!

1 comment: