Thursday, June 28, 2012

Handmade Gift Exchange

So about a month ago, I signed up to be a participant of a gift exchange without even as much as a second thought!  It is where you are paired up with someone anonymously, find out what they like, make a gift, and send it to them in the mail. You also receive a gift from another person.  It is hosted by the coolest gifting elf ever...elfster!  The website magically hosts, gathers information, lets you put items on your wishlist, and shop!  But, the coolest feature is that you get to send secret questions to your recipient so you can learn all about them and their life.

When I came across this idea...I thought it was genius.  Here is a perfect opportunity to meet other cyber crafters!  Almost like a pen pal, but instead a craft pal!  I had a pen pal when I was in the third grade.  I loved, LOVED, getting letters from a mysterious, exotic friend.  (At least that's how I made her up in my mind.)  It's probably no secret, but I loved the writing part as well.  I got to pour my eight-year-old heart & soul into those letters...and then had to beg my mom for a postage stamp! Ah...the lost art of writing & receiving letters in the mail, eh?

Anyway, I digress.  I drew Amber Creel from Orange Park, Florida.  Here's what she's getting from me (hopefully it's there already and I'm not ruining the surprise!).  Granted it is made on the computer, but it is definitely a one-of-a-kind piece of art. 


Seems I've got a talent for customized Subway Art.  So far, everyone that has received this gift from me is elated and some have even shed a few tears.  Cross your fingers that it is well received!

Here are the questions I asked Amber:
  1. What is your favorite color?
  2. What's in your cup?  Coffee, tea or cocoa
  3. Do you collect anything?  (most people do)
  4. Name three activities your family loves to do
  5. What is your wedding anniversary date?
  6. Tell me about the makeup of your family.
From her answers, I was able to create an 8" x 10" masterpiece.  I printed it on white index weight cardstock.  I knew I needed it to be in a red frame (representing her love for "all things 'bama").  That was the hardest part of this little creation (eh, not really); I just altered a wood frame -- spraypainted it with Cherry Red Gloss paint.  Simple and effective.

The shipping deadline for all participants is June 30.  Mine went out in yesterday's mail.  Meanwhile I am I anxiously waiting for the mailman to arrive every day.  I sometimes see him sitting somewhere in our neighborhood taking a break and wish he'd hurry up -- I am waiting for my secret handmade gift to arrive!  I will keep you posted on what I receive.  (Truth is...I'm more excited about getting news that Amber's gift has arrived!)

You can see all of the handmade goodness here.  If you'd like to participate in the next gift exchange, click here.  These exchanges are done twice a year and the next one will be in November.  Ooh...Christmas crafts!  Oh my!

4 comments:

  1. Judy! What a fun (but, I would view as daunting) thing to do. I love your subway art! Of course, I *liked* it on the site where all the gifts are posted. Just amazing talent out there. Can't wait to see what you get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! :) I'm sure your giftee loved receiving this one of a kind gift; I know I would!
    Happy Day!
    Michelle
    www.daydreambelievers.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would consider myself very lucky to be your giftee; this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive! that you made that with just those questions! I think you have a talent for Subway Art for sure!

    ReplyDelete