Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Project Life

Confession:  I am a POTD addict.

POTD?  Picture of the Day.

Every
single
day

I became addicted in 2009 when it was called Project 365.  It's now called Project Life (PL).  Even though it's my little addiction, I love the idea, the process, and the end result.  Sitting on my shelf are three complete year-in-the-life-of-Judy-Rakes memoirs.  Photographed & documented.   At first, I was skeptical that I could really take a picture every day.  Those around me thought I was nuts (some still do).  It did not take long to realize that I enjoy it.  I call it my "photographic journal."  One picture and a short note - every day. I love creating them. I love looking back through them. I have learned to see the beauty of each new day and that there is a lot in my life that can be documented (even the mundane, silly routines).  I have learned that I live a pretty charmed life. 

I have always been in love with the notion of keeping a journal/diary.  I've started and stopped many times in my life time.  I kept a "locked" diary between my mattresses when I was a tween (the very same "locked" diary that my brother took to school to share with all the boys).  I started another journal when I was going through a divorce 22 years ago, as someone said it would be therapeutic.  Huh?  I just could never really get into it.  

I am exactly the person for whom this kit was designed:  a photo, a journal card, a date stamp, and day-of-the-week stickers.  Rarely, do I add more fluff to the already very cute design (using the Turquoise edition). 

For me, it certainly does not replace the glamour of traditional scrapbooking.  I still really enjoy that process as well.  This is different.  No creative road blocks. Just photos and (short) stories (oh, and some ephemera like receipts and ticket stubs, etc.).   These books are all me.  Personally. 

Since I am still madly and passionately in love with "regular" scrapbooking, I don't feel obligated to make PL my be-all-end-all scrapbook. Instead, it's my goal to catch all those little bits and pieces of our every day lives. If anything, it's helped me decide which photos really need a two-page layout and which just slip into PL.

Here is the new title page for 2012. 

And here are weeks 1-3:




This year, I am adding simple Silhouette diecuts from the wildly talented Kerri Bradford.

If you’re at all interested in the process, check out the mastermind behind the products here (look for the Project Life button on the sidebar, as well.)

If you’re ready to get started, you can get products from amazon.com.   I’d love to have you join me.  We can support each other.  I am definitely a POTD addict; and hopefully, you will find lots of ideas here on the blog to get yourself in the pictures.  Additionally, I suggest you really learn the self-timer feature on your camera!

If you're already in the 12-step program, drop me a note as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment